Web Community Manager (Websites)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Obfuscate email addresses

I just learned that the Staff Directory app and the About Teacher app will obfuscate email addresses to prevent (or at least slow down) their collection by email harvesters.

Since we also add email addresses in other apps (Tables, Minibases, Content), could WCM consider obfuscating all email addresses or giving content creators an option to add obfuscation? Maybe a Captcha screen?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. friendly web addresses - make them permanent rather than just domain/page etc.

We need friendly web addresses - make them permanent rather than just default them to domain/page etc.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Report of Recently Changed Pages with URLs

So, the "ask" here is for a report that would list the URLs of pages that recently changed (within a range of dates) and the user that made the changes.

Background: Based on an Office of Civil Rights complaint, we need to provide a plan for keeping our site ADA accessible. We are obviously training users about ADA compliance. However, we also know that with 100's of website updaters, there will be issues. We need our IT staff to be able to review recently updated pages for ADA compliance. Our intent would be to "fix" the issues and "educate" those…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Table App

Allow editors to change the font color and border color in the Table App

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Better tracking for page ownership, creation and editing.

Better tracking for page ownership, creation and editing.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Custom Error Pages

Ability to customize "page not found" and/or other error pages to provide users with proactive assistance to find what they're looking for and troubleshoot browser issues. [ Inspired by an issue we're having with implementation -- many, many people in our communiy have old, cached pages on their computers and have no idea that we have launched a new Website or how to access it even though the URL has not changed. We'd like to customize the error pages -- even if it's just with a link -- to better inform folks of the new site and provide suggestions for…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Return a proper 404

Search results for our site return pages that have long been deleted. Turns out that deleted pages return a 302 (redirect found) and the resulting page returns a 200 code (OK).

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow moving pages with nested pages underneath

The ability to move a page together with all its nested pages would be helpful. It is cumbersome to have to move all of the nested pages first, then the main page, then re-nest the pages, etc. This would allow for more flexibility in reorganizing a site.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. I'd like to be able to use the search engine for only our district site, without pulling results from our 50+ school sites as well.

I'd like to see a way to filter our search engine results by website, such as 'only district site,' a specific school site, or all school sites.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make "preview" work on inactive pages

The page preview option only works if the page is active, rendering the option completely pointless. It would be nice to see what's wrong with the page layout BEFORE publishing it to the public, you know...like previous to viewing.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. allow subsites to have and maintain their own set of friendly urls

Currently friendly urls all start from the root of the main site. I think each site and subsite should be able to have their own friendly urls. So you could have http://yourschool.schoolwires.net/athletics as well as http://yourschool.schoolwires.net/school1/athletics and http://yourschool.schoolwires.net/school2/athletics

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow links to files in the site shortcut app

I would love to use the site shortcut app on our schools home pages and label as Quick Links but it will not allow me to link to a file...only to a web page. So instead I need to use the content app. I am sure many schools have quick links to pdf files or other documents such as lunch menus, handbooks, etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow Organization of the Google Folder App -

Love this new app - however, the inability to organize it (it organizes in alphabetical order) does not make sense, for instance, when posting monthly newsletters when February comes before January in the alphabet, the docs are out of order.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Content app updates

When you insert a link there is an option for Bookmark but there is no Flag to associate the bookmark with.
    The Content app also needs random content (images and text) in the Toolbox. This is an awesome feature in the Flex Editor.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add a display duration feature to the document viewer app.

I use the doc viewer regularly for our job postings and put more than one document viewer on a page. I think it would be helpful if one could set the duration for the INDIVIDUAL app on a page. I find that I have to remember to put a reminder in my calendar to take a posting off the website when it expires... but oftentimes I don't remember and an old posting is left up.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow Backup/Restore to a file of entire site or sections by Site/Subsite Directors or Section editors.

How about giving the Site Director the ability to export the entire website into a compressed zip file, the Subsite Directors the ability to export their entire subsite into a compressed zip file and a section editor the ability to export their entire section into a compressed zip file. Site and Subsite Directors would also be able to just export sections into a compressed zip file.

The opposite option of being able to restore these compressed backups would also be necessary. This would give us the ability to keep archives of our Sites and/or sections in case we need to…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Friendly web addresses on individual pages

It would be nice to allow section editors to add friendly web addresses to any page within their site rather than the channel editor have to do it and only being able to give the whole section a friendly address.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Search and Replace

It would be extremely advantageous to have a search and replace feature for times when we have staff changes or no longer offer certain courses, and more. When you have a 5,000 page website, without search and replace, finding a name or title would be extremely time consuming. Frontpage offers search and replace, and we have occasion to use it often enough.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. add ability to customize event registration confirmations

Allow districts to customize the e-mail confirmations that are received when someone registers for an event and also when someone registers but is placed on the waiting list. The ability to have a unique message for both registrations would be helpful

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Searching all sites should not be the default

The default option for search on Blackboard websites is to search all pages associated with your main domain name.

This means if a parent searches for "homecoming" on High School A, they could possibly get the results from High School B.

I went to Denton ISD and searched for "second grade" from Blanton ES and the first page of results were all from different elementary schools.

We've had them alter the way search works on our site, but it does cost extra. Odd that this is the default. Does anyone else have issues with search complaints?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base