My suggestion is...

Calendar for Registered Events- Conferences

In order to make scheduling of Parent Teacher Conferences (and other events) more efficient, my school district attempted using the Schoolwires calendar to tackle this monstrous task. In the past it has taken a clerk up to 400 hours of work to accomplish this, and with Schoolwires this task was successfully accomplished in a fraction of the time. Although I found it has a lot of potential for future use, it needs some minor changes that will make major improvements in the process. Basically what I did was I created 36 registered events for each high school teacher and batch imported them into each of their calendars. Each event was held at a maximum capacity of one. Parents would then go to the particular teacher's calendar and register for whichever time slot they wanted and it would immediately schedule them and lock the event from anyone else registering for that same time. It worked pretty well, however, there are some features that need to be changed in order for us to expand this beyond the high school. I would like to be able to use this feature at all our schools, but I won't be able to unless the process is streamlined.

Here are some suggestions for improvement:

1. Automatic color change or icon on the event when it is full to capacity. This will give immediate visual clue as to which times are still available and which have already been taken.

2. When registering for an event, make it possible to require certain questions to be answered. For example, when I set the conference schedule up this year, I included a question that asked for student name and ID number. Only a handful of parents supplied that information because it was not a required response.

3. Make it possible for teachers to view all their conference schedules from one screen and print out a copy of all registered parents without having to click on 36 different events. The only way our teachers were able to see who had signed up for their conference was to check the roster for each event (time slot) and there were 36 time slots for each teacher.

These are a few that I came up with. If anyone has any other suggestions as to how to make the use of the calendar for multiple registered events please add them.

5 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminBlackboard CE Product Management (Admin, Blackboard) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The color or icon change for full events is a great idea. I could even going so far as hiding events with registration that are full. This is a must for end user functionality. Asking people to click through a list of events to find open times is cumbersome at best.

As a sidebar, you can pull a report (Site Workspace > Tools > Reports > Calendar Event Registration Report) that will show all your registrations and allow you to export the report to a CSV file.

Feedback and Knowledge Base