My suggestion is...

Configure Centricity To Automatically Update Links To Files

If a file is moved from the root of a section's "Files and Folders" area to a subfolder, all the links to that file are broken have to be re-created. It would be great if Centricity could track those links and ask the user if he/she would like to update all links to the file when moved. Dreamweaver, FrontPage, etc. do this and I assumed Centricity did too, but I found out the hard way that it doesn't.

31 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminBlackboard CE Product Management (Admin, Blackboard) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Elizabeth Cullen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When thinking about this from an programming/HTML standpoint, that change just doesn't make sense. You are changing the root location of a file, of course the link would break. If you were to create a brand new webpage from scratch for yourself, this would still be an issue. Which is why some planning into these pages goes a long way.

• Marlene Colgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see the ability to "update" an existing file by replacing it with another document, so the link would not break. We like to add the version date to the end of each file name - 1718calendar072617.pdf for instance - so if I get a new version of the district calendar I have to remember where it's linked, so I can insert the new version in its place.

• Brett Reynolds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would highly suggest to create a table with files and path mappings. Then use those IDs in the HTML when files are inserted in pages. If a file changes it will update the HTML reference automatically.

Feedback and Knowledge Base