My suggestion is...

Assign users to edit only pages, not full sections

We would like to be able to set editing permissions at the page level as well. Some users we would like to have access to only a page, not the entire section it is under.

146 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Raechelle Forrest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've received requests from departments to assign editors to specific pages. This is a great idea and I hope that Blackboard can implement it soon.

• Scott Huff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After 7 years of this being open, it would be nice to hear from a Blackboard admin as to whether this will ever be considered? Is it in the works? Has it been rejected? Any status would be great.

• Sandy Cramer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I 100% agree with all comments here. I need the ability to assign users to certain pages. I can't give them access to entire sections. So instead we are forced to have our users create pages in another program (like Google Sites) which we then link to. This is not how this should work ...

• Matt S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's disheartening to see how long this has been sitting out here. As a new user with 100+ schools in our district as well as a massive district site, we have to structure our content so that it's easy to navigate for our end users. Creating a section for every instance where we need to just allow a user to edit a single page is a nightmare.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SchoolWorld provided the ability to set editing privileges at the page level. Districts transitioning from SchoolWorld have requested this ability as some users are responsible for just one page that is nested within a larger section of pages.

• Nick - www.lisd.net commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't count on this one until they change how files are stored in Files and Folders. Right now, all files uploaded to a Page are shared by all pages in that section. If someone uploads a file with the same name as a file on another page, it will overwrite that file.

This could be solved in a couple ways:

1. Prompt that you are about to replace a file linked on another page.
    2. Make Files and Folders specific to pages.

• Martin Beall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to be able to assign editor privileges to a single page or pages in a section without giving the editor access to edit the entire section.

• Scott Huff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We definitely need more finite control over pages. We are planning to create a page for every teacher in our district (1000+) with the current way of doing things, each teacher would have access to edit any other teachers page. This is obviously not a good thing.

• Nick - www.lisd.net commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is obviously not happening (3 years later). The issue seems to be with the Files & Folders - they are tied to Sections rather than Pages. Until that changes, you wouldn't be able to give someone only Page access. They would have access to the Page and all files in that section. Could be a disaster.

Please, please, please make this happen! More often than not, we want page editors instead of section editors.

Related to this, it would be awesome if users could subscribe to an individual page instead of an individual section.

Yes, I COMPLETELY agree! Our departments could really use this! Sometimes a person needs to work on a page within the department, but doesn't need access to EVERY page in the department. Same goes for clubs or teams at the school level.

I would like to assign a page editor in addition to a section editor. For example, one section we have is called "Clubs." There are thirty pages under the Club section. If I want the club advisors to edit their own pages, then I have to give them permission to edit the entire Club section, giving them access to clubs they are not in charge of nor responsible for. I only want them to have access to edit the club they advise.

Feedback and Knowledge Base