My suggestion is...

Rename APPS to something else

Please rename APPs to Modules, Templates or Containers. Apps to most of the public especially the non Tech savoy teachers is confusing. I am very knowledgeable in the tech world and its not the correct term in website design. http://www.dictionary.com/browse/app

Apps with in apps doesn't make sense. A module in a module, or Container in a container, templates with in templates all do.

37 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brian Cook shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Peter Elsesser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I usually end up apologizing at training sessions for this silly terminology. Come to think of it, our official BB trainer actually apologized for the same reason. :-D

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Think of them as Application Blocks, push the I believe button and move on. There are bigger fish to fry.

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES!!!. The whole APPS termininolgy is mind boggling confusing for the common user. They understand the Google Play, ITunes, and MS store, but "Apps" in Blackboard simply make no sense.
    Call them Widgets, Modules, Web-parts, Content blocks, etc, but they are not "Apps" in the true sense of common usage today with mobile devices that you download them to your device to perform a function even though yes, they are standalone functions of the CMS, its simply too much crossover and hijacking of a concept that is beyond end users.

• Victor Bushfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with this. I've been a school wires customer for almost 8 years and I remember when they changed the design system and added "Apps". Since then I have the exact same problem whenever I do training. I say apps and everyone gets this confused look on their face.

Feedback and Knowledge Base