My suggestion is...

"All Day" should not be the default time showing up for calendar events that do not have a specific time associated with them.

For example - if you wish to indicated that January 17 is an Early Dismissal Day, but do not wish to indicate on calendar interface a start time or an end time (because different buildings start and end as different times), it shows up as an All Day event. That is confusing for the end user. Exam Days for us are partial days, but with varying end times, which are clarified when the event is clicked on. But since we are not indicating a start or end time, on the calendar interface it shows up as an All Day event.

62 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminBlackboard CE Product Management (Admin, Blackboard) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello! First, thank you all for your feedback and patience. We are looking at ways to address feedback around the calendar changes.

For starters, we are considering:
        a) renaming "All Day" to "Today" where it is referenced.
        b) moving times on the month view to after the Event title (so that we can display more of the title... likely removing them from this view).
        c) allowing the clicking of individual events to go right to the detail view.

This sounds like it would begin to address some of the most common issues, but I would welcome any feedback around these changes or the calendar in general at rich.haynor@blackboard.com. Thank you!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are using multiple calendars for our lunch and breakfast menus to keep within accessibility compliance. As a result, it would be helpful if "All Day" would not appear on the list and calendar view of the menus. Visit https://www.birdvilleschools.net/elementarymenus to see what I am referring to regarding the "All Day".

I agree with the complaints regarding the "All Day" tag. It is totally confusing and an unnecessary feature. The old calendar was much better as it did not tag an event unless a specific start time was selected. This makes it difficult to post from the district as schools have different start times. This new version requires a start time unless All day is selected and by selecting this forces the "All Day" tag to be visible. This prevents the event to be visible without actually clicking it. Please remove the "All Day" tag requirement! Not user friendly!

I agree - recording All Day at the front of entries makes it impossible to see the rest of the entries unless they are in list mode. I have not been happy at all with the calendar changes and will probably not use it next year.

It is too difficult to make use of the calendar with the new updated format, especially on the small screens of our tablet. It is impossible to see the title of what has been inputted for a particular date, or set of dates. For years it was so easy to see and use.

While I understand the need for ADA compliance, putting the time first has nothing to with ADA and makes the calendar frustrating for teachers, students and parents. Also the having to double click to get to the description makes no sense.

• Ashton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"All Day" label at the start of an event title prevents quick search for topics/events.

As a teacher, I would like to see "All Day" have no time frame and no label on the calendar. I would also like in the daily view for "All Day" to continue to populate to the top.

As a teacher, I am posting daily assignment updates for my students. It is important that they can read on each day (without opening the event) what we did. Now if a student needs to find what day we completed a particular assignment, they have to search all over the calendar instead of being able to quickly see it in the title on the day it was assigned.

Also, with the "All Day" there, very little of the title can be seen. Users shouldn't have to click on a calendar just to see what is going on that day.

• Ruth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New format is very frustrating and very un user friendly. No longer do you just click once on an event for all the information.

• Ruth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Events that I put in the calendar without an end time have not defaulted to midnight. This is clearly not a valid option for a school district. How can this be corrected?

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All day events should simply have no time associated on the screen

I believe this is a recent change and takes up valuable space on the calendar. The calendar should just show the item unless specific times are assigned.

• Brian Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ALL DAY does not need to be displayed because people viewing the calendar can only see a partial name of the event. I feel that this space would be better suited for the displaying only the event name, as each event name looks almost identical to one another. Please roll back the update to the original calendar app format.

All Day does NOT work for us! We have 13 calendars, more coming, that depend on being listed by Block. Specifying time does not accomplish the desired look either. Now I have 200 frustrated end users. Please Please roll back the update and make the calendars as they were.

• Kristin Ledford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You also should not have to click on an event name twice to see the details for that event. Click once - you get a page with each event listed by time, click twice - you get to details - click again for the address and go to a google search for that address instead of a map?! SO FRUSTRATING for end users. I thought it was all about less clicking????

Feedback and Knowledge Base