My suggestion is...

Quit dumbing down the editor

Why are the developers dumbing down the editors and forcing us to use html if we want something in some of the apps. Especially the Announcement app. Why would you take away the tool to link to a pdf (paperclip)? One of the best things about Announcement vs Headline is the ability to link directly to a pdf. Most of the site editors I know want a more robust editor and Schoolwires is going the opposite. I don't really understand how dumbing down the editor really helps for mobile responsive design.

53 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Okay after using it for awhile, and putting up with the complaints from the teacher users, I actually appreciate this editor with a few exceptions. Paperclip was a nicer icon than the one that is there now. I don't even know what to call that icon-an inbox? I like that there is less chance for my teacher editors to ever put Comic Sans on a page again. : ) I found that a little coding in the < > source code can produce a table and a table tool that pops up once you create a table. I just do simple ones and only when drastically needed (everyday in education I think). I too understand why our font sized are named vs numbered but I sure miss 8 10 12 14 16 and knowing that those will be the sizes in the page editing area anyway. And lastly, the table app can just sit there...I won't use it because it really is clunky. Just wanted to update my first post. Thanks for everyone's responses.

• Elizabeth Cullen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only point I agree with is that the table function was removed. The table app is just bad. BUT nothing else was removed. You can still insert photos, files, and links. You can still go into the HTML. You can still add color (granted the selection is less). I personally prefer it this way, less opportunity for beginner editors to make a mess of an announcement of page.

The reason, or at least a reason, for the changes in Tables has to do with ADA compliance. An ill formed table, such as one used to control layout, causes havoc with screen reader technology.
    I agree though the new table app has a lot to be desired. In addition bringing Schoolwires web pages into the 21 century (incorporating responsive web design) has complicated basic page building for novice editors.

There is a button in the new editor (Content APP) that looks like this < > that takes you to the what the old HTML view in the Flex Page Editor did.

• Nate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really wish we could create tables within the app. I'm moving my school's site from SchoolFusion, which had a nice robust table editor within the editor.

• Melissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. I miss having more choices in the font size and color. Why change this in the first place?

• Ray Waller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition the "double-click" photo editor functionality has been removed for spacing.

I STRONGLY agree! Where's the HTML button at the bottom? We used it A LOT, especially when teachers copied and pasted into an announcement. BRING BACK THE FONT SIZES! It is difficult now to keep the formatting the same on a page when I don't know what "small" or "normal" means as compared to 12, 18, etc. Yes, I know it will change based on the device, but at least we could keep the proper perspective in relation to the rest of our text using numbers. This was NOT the feature to copy from SchoolFusion. Copy their ability to edit the page directly on the page or their student code names feature, NOT their bad font descriptions and please UNupdate the toolbar. The old one was working fine.

Feedback and Knowledge Base